The Ariel was made by the Ariel Company from 1905 to 1906 in Boston, Massachusetts and Bridgeport, Connecticut. The car was available with either an air-cooled or a water-cooled engine, either of which had a single overhead camshaft and delivered 30 hp.
The radiator was oval in shape, similar to those of Delaunay-Belleville cars. Ariel's slogan, "Look for the Oval Front," was based on this feature.
In 1907, production of the Ariel was transferred to the Sinclair-Scott Company of Baltimore, Maryland, who changed the brand name to Maryland.