Acme Motor Car Company 1892-1915
|Fate||Sold to SGV (1911)|
|Key people||James C. Reber (founder)
Fred Van Tine
|Parent||Reber Manufacturing Co|
The company was founded in 1892 by James C. Reber to produce bicycles. The Acme was preceded by the Reber, which was manufactured in 1902–03 and was powered by a vertical-twin engine.
The first Acme automobiles also had twin-cylinder engines but were soon followed by four-cylinder models and in 1909 by a six-cylinder. The 1909 9653 cc Vanderbilt Six featured overdrive fourth gear.
1906 Acme Model XIV
In 1906, the company was advertising a 5-passenger tonneau in a national trade magazine. Model XIV was a 4-cylinder with a 30 to 35-horsepower motor and was priced at US$2,750 with maximum speed of 50 miles per hour (80 km/h).
1906 Acme Model XV car
Also in 1906 a Model XV, at US$3,500, was a 7-passenger Touring Car. It had a 4-cylinder motor with 45 to 50-horsepower. Maximum speed was 60 miles per hour (97 km/h). All Acme automobiles came with a year's "absolute binding guarantee."
The firm went into receivership in 1906, and its last cars were made in 1911. The factory was sold to SGV (Herbert M.Sternbergh, Robert E.Graham, and Fred Van Tine), which continued making some of the range until 1915 Then the line was sold to Phianna, which moved production to Newark, New Jersey.