Abbott-Detroit Motor Car Company
|Headquarters||Detroit, Michigan, later Cleveland, Ohio|
The Abbott-Detroit was an American luxury automobile manufactured between 1909 and 1919. It was considered powerful and well-designed, and had a Continental engine. Production of the auto began in Detroit, Michigan and was moved to Cleveland, Ohio in 1916 at which time the automobile name was shortened to Abbott. The cars were guaranteed for life by 1913, when electric lighting and starting had been standardized.
The Abbott Motor Car Company was established in 1909 in Detroit located at 107 Waterloo Street. The Abbott-Detroit offered a choice of either 4-cylinder or 6-cylinder Continental engine. The car could also be purchased with an 8-cylinder Herschell-Spillman engine.
In 1911, Abbott-Detroit models included a Model B 5-passenger Touring Car priced at US$1500.00, a Roadster US$1500.00, four-door Dimi-Tonneau with detachable tonneau US$1650, Coupe US$2350. The company motto that year was "The Up-To-The-Minute Car."
The next year, the company offerings included the 1912 Model-44, a 7-passenger 4-door Touring Car that was sold for US$1,800. Additionally, a 4-door Demi-Tonneau for US$1,775, a 4-door Limousine fully equipped for US$3,000. The company also built a less expensive line known as the Model 34' which included a 4-door Touring Car that came without a top and windshield which sold for US$1,350, a 4-door Roadster, also without a top and windshield, for US$1,275 and a Colonial Coupe fully equipped for US$2,150.
Consolidated car company
By 1916, the company changed its name to Consolidated Car Company and production of these cars had reached 15 to 20 units a day.
That same year, the company moved from Detroit to a larger facility in Cleveland and changed their name to the Abbott Motor Corporation. The automobiles built in Cleveland were called Abbott. The move proved too stressful on the company's finances, and they declared bankruptcy in April 1918.